# 06.02.2008 8:02:17 -08:00
We have recently upgraded our TFS/TeamExplorer from 2005 to 2008.

In one of our Work Item Types, there was a custom control, inserted by hand in the XML (using notepad). The WIT was working fine.
Using Team Explorer 2008, I think we should now be able to edit WIT containing custom controls with the Server PowerTools, isn't ?

However, trying to do so, I get the message :
There was a problem loading the work tem type definition: ...
Instance Validation error :'OurCustomControl' is not a valid value for ValidControlsType.

The event Log contains
Instance validation error: 'OurCustomControl' is not a valid value for ValidControlsType.
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.ProcessTools.TemplateEditor.Common.Utilities.LoadObject(String fileName, Object target)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.ProcessTools.TemplateEditor.BusinessObjects.WorkItemTypeDefinition.WorkItemTypeDefinition.Load(FileInfo workItemTypeDefinitionFile)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.ProcessTools.TemplateEditor.TemplateEditorControls.ucWorkItemTypeDefinition.OpenFromFile(String fileName)

If I validate the WIT with witimport.exe /v, I don"t get any error ?!

I know that this error was quite common before the 2005 SP1. But as we have now upgraded to 2008, I don't see the origin of this problem.
I have checked all the Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.dll and they all have File Version "9.0.21022.8".

Notice: I exported the WIT from the TFS before editing it because, if I do an "Open WIT from server", I get the following error:
"There was a problem loading the work item type definition: there is an error in XML document"

The worst is that I can't even not reimport the XML file that I have just exported from the project (I mean, without having even touched this file).

Notice also: the assembly with the Custom Control (as well as its .wicc file) are well located in "All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Work Item Tracking\Custom Controls".

Is there anybody who could help me on finding the issue there ?

V.
# 20.02.2008 4:12:59 -08:00
I can actually reimport the WIT with witimport.exe...

If I do changes manually in the XML files before importing them back, these changes are reflected on TFS.
So the problem seems to be related to the Server PowerTools...

V.