# 25.05.2009 1:58:06 -07:00

Hi everyone,

I have two issues when creating a multi value control.

1) I have created a multiple value control like below. It is OK when I hard-coding the List Item value.

<FIELD name="Triage" refname="Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Triage" type="String" reportable="dimension">
<REQUIRED /> 
<SUGGESTEDVALUES expanditems="false">
<LISTITEM value="[Name A]" />
<LISTITEM value="[Name B]" />
<LISTITEM value="[Name C]" />
</SUGGESTEDVALUES>
</FIELD>

But when I used Global list, an error message occur: "Triage does not have any values to list in the multiple value control. See “Work Item Tracking Multiple Value Control.doc” for details on defining a field to support the multiple value control".

my global list defined as:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<gl:GLOBALLISTS xmlns:gl="http://schemas.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/2005/workitemtracking/globallists">
<GLOBALLIST name="TechnicalGroups">
<LISTITEM value="[Name A]" />
<LISTITEM value="[Name B]" />
<LISTITEM value="[Name C]" />
</GLOBALLIST>
</gl:GLOBALLISTS> 

my work item defined as:

<FIELD name="Triage" refname="Microsoft.VSTS.Common.Triage" type="String" reportable="dimension">
<REQUIRED />
<SUGGESTEDVALUES expanditems="false">
<GLOBALLIST name="TechnicalGroups" />
</SUGGESTEDVALUES>
</FIELD>

I have found similar issues like this in this forum, but still don't get the solution. Can someone help me out please?

2)  I have installed WitCustomControlSetup.exe in my server to implement multi value control. But I cannot used it in the client when I want to add a work item. Something like the dll is missing. Do i need to install WitCustomControlSetup.exe in every client to use it? Please help on this.

Thanks in advance.

# 07.06.2010 16:57:40 -07:00

I did a search on the internet because I had a similar problem as #1 but with hard coding the values.  So posting my solution.  Not exactly the same scenario but might help someone else looking.

Regarding #1: 

Values needs to be in a SUGGESTEDVALUES list  not ALLOWEDVALUES list. Because of a limitation in the system. If you set the allowed value, it will only allow one of those values. For instance if you check two of them, the value can be “[BVT],[Functional]”, but that entire value is not allowed because it’s not in the list.

Suggested on the other hand allows anything on the server side, but we limit the selection to the supplied values from the custom control. This control is more of a client hack, because we don’t have a server field that supports Multi Value.

Regarding #2:

You have to install the MultiValueControl.wicc and CodePlex.WitCustomControls.dll on the client machines at the following location under a default client install: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Team Foundation\Work Item Tracking\Custom Controls.  The install can be found at http://witcustomcontrols.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Multivalue%20control&referringTitle=Home